• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 7, 2020

    Wood carving Driftwood and Turquoise Bird Head

    Wood carving Driftwood and Turquoise Bird Head


    Driftwood and Turquoise Bird Head

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 01:43 PM PDT

    Can I repair/reshape a chipped gouge?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 03:58 PM PDT

    Entire project video - start to finish (sped up)

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 12:25 PM PDT

    My eighth whittled figurine is done! This time I recorded the entire process which is (sped up) on youtube.

    https://youtu.be/5YbXqbSc2k8

    Photos of the finished project are here: https://imgur.com/a/gPqJyRh

    I've included everything from tracing, wood selection, rough cutting, whittling, sanding and staining. This project took 3 months to complete.

    The wood is macrocarpa which is probably 30-50 years old, and is finished with raw linseed oil. She's 14 cm in length, and the U shape made her quite challenging to carve.

    I used hand-tools only:

    *Saw

    *Wire brush (briefly)

    *Hammer and chisel (briefly)

    *Roughing knife

    *1.5mm and 3mm gouges

    *180 and 320 grit sandpaper

    I've left in most of the tool sharpening and sanding to give an accurate idea of the amounts of time that all parts of the project take. I used a 6000 grit stone to get an edge on the chisel, and scrap leather and stropping compound to keep the knife sharp.

    There were a couple of problems during the project. Firstly, some minor cracking in the wood was deeper than expected, and is still visible on the finished project. Secondly her foot snapped off while I was trimming her toes, and needed to be reattached. I also lost about 2-3 hours of footage due to camera, or operator, error. Despite that I'm very happy with the result.

    submitted by /u/GenericNate
    [link] [comments]

    Can I repair/reshape a chipped gouge?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 03:55 PM PDT

    Dekupaj Makinesi Kesim Tezgahı (Açısı Ayarlanabilir) / Jigsaws Machine T...

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 12:29 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment