• Breaking News

    Tuesday, August 4, 2020

    Wood carving My first ever bowl carving hope this counts

    Wood carving My first ever bowl carving hope this counts


    My first ever bowl carving hope this counts

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 02:48 AM PDT

    Inspired by a recent book centered around the latter half of the 19th century. Butternut wood.

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 09:20 AM PDT

    "Water Drop" Hand carved in American basswood using gouges and chip carving knives. The upper part is 13mm thick & the bottom is 17mm thick. 40cm tall x 23cm large. Finished in dark stain and oil.

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 05:02 AM PDT

    Carved a bowl/dish out of patterned plywood.... fun!

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 09:19 PM PDT

    First post here. My first attempt at woodcarving. Tried to make braid-pattern at the handle, but didn't quite stick the landing. Learned a lot and had fun though!

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 02:08 AM PDT

    Alaskan Ulu knife. I didn't make the blade, but I did carve the handle.

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 02:21 PM PDT

    My first bowl but now coated in oil

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 08:29 AM PDT

    Butterfly sculpture using wood and resin that I forgot to post

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 06:41 AM PDT

    Hand gripping the fence - decorated a dead tree trunk in a park this July

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 06:48 AM PDT

    Waccamaw River mantle or bar top. Almost done.

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 02:28 PM PDT

    My dad started carving about a year ago. He's super proud of this mushroom head that he carved. Should I tell him that it looks a little phallus shaped? (Obviously I won't, but I wanted to share some humor with y'all)

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 05:58 AM PDT

    Second bear carving

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 04:10 PM PDT

    Wood and resin eye relief from a while back

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 06:40 AM PDT

    Latest carved Flag. Roughly 39x22.

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 07:31 PM PDT

    Help identifying please - new to carving and inherited the from my great grandfather. Are these for carving, turning or anything else? Thank you!

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 05:57 PM PDT

    First attempt at carving, really happy with the result. Picked up this hobby to help with depression and found it very therapeutic.

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 12:38 PM PDT

    Made these for my kiddos

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 10:01 PM PDT

    Made these for my kiddos

    Hi folks, I made these two little guys for my kids. Carving is so rewarding. They are begging for more and already asked to make some for their friends. Anyway, on painting these little guys I am still undecided on what to use (oil based, or water based)

    I basically want something that is durable and that the kids can play with and not easily chip away or peel away. I applied an "outdoor water based" paint but it feels so latexy that I'm not sure it'll withstand little prying fingers.

    Should I apply some sort of coating to protect it? I'm thinking, maybe a coat of whatever is used on a table or cabinet? Something that is strong and can take some damage.

    Should I use oil based paint with a coat of protective material? I don't mind seeing the grain of the wood beneath. As long as it is durable, it's game.

    Thank you for your time reading this.

    https://preview.redd.it/9fpx7ml44xe51.jpg?width=1024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=bb92f727ca13b1601e58e931da332ce96caa1de4

    submitted by /u/caradubaxu
    [link] [comments]

    Am I the only one who finds beavercraft tools kinda terrible?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 10:58 PM PDT

    I have purchased a set of gouges from them and after a significant amount of sharpening finally got them halfway cutting wood. But they hold an edge about as well as a teenagers first job. I also ordered their carving knife set and they are just about as dull as well. There were some discolorations on the blade when I got them that look to be from the factory sharpening overheating the blade. After some time with the strop it's useable but not for very long.

    I don't know if I just happened to get a dud or if their QC has just become very poor and I got a bad set of knives that weren't properly tempered/sharpened.

    Should I just cut my losses, return these, and go with a Drake or Kharkiv? Any other knife recommendation for getting into spoon and kuksa carving?

    submitted by /u/lacroixlibation
    [link] [comments]

    Tool Suggestions

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 08:09 PM PDT

    Im very new to carving and have whittling quite a bit. I got a flexcut KN 12 for just playin around and pretty quickly got myself a drake GIL special. I was wanting a good V tool for doing small grooves and also a detail knife. I really like the quality of the Drake but I didn't know if there were any other brands I should take a look at. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Levitrax
    [link] [comments]

    I often make small carvings to leave at friends house in inconspicuous areas. Applewood.

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 02:18 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment