• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 20, 2021

    Wood carving A beefy two tone Oregon maple spoon, with ridges for extra grasping pleasure.

    Wood carving A beefy two tone Oregon maple spoon, with ridges for extra grasping pleasure.


    A beefy two tone Oregon maple spoon, with ridges for extra grasping pleasure.

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 06:46 AM PST

    As promised, here's the update on my lil penguin!

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 12:45 AM PST

    How to get started? (In Canada, if that matters)

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 08:55 AM PST

    HI EVeryone

    My dad and I are looking to get into carving. We live in SW ONtario, Canada (if that makes a difference). What is a good way to start out? What is a good resource : website, book, youtube channel etc, for us to check out? We are both homebound with covid, are there any zoom meetings or classes on carving? Is there a bare bones list of tools we should start out with?

    submitted by /u/ILARviron
    [link] [comments]

    First carved basswood rose

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 07:54 AM PST

    First carved basswood rose

    I recently took a serious interest in wood carving again, so I decided to try carving a rose as a Valentine's Day gift. Since I'm still new, I decided to use basswood and left things a bit chunky since it's softer wood. I may or may not have broken two others lol. It was finished it with 2 coats of Dark Walnut Danish Oil and 3 coats of Polyurethane, I'm so happy with how it turned out! Any tips or recommendations are welcome for the next one :)

    https://preview.redd.it/aacpz3bwmni61.jpg?width=3374&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=2b53e7b8a85164e659590a8c9974c0377fc0a0f5

    https://preview.redd.it/s45oaabwmni61.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=ee8fdd42c30efb11ff71e936f1f325967d2a7e3a

    https://preview.redd.it/xyykbbbwmni61.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=e12b52832591cfdc52a0ba7e7e9eec8f985f7b55

    https://preview.redd.it/vvgpv3bwmni61.jpg?width=2842&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=2c2f047507beab89e56f654a6f777624aa4d5272

    submitted by /u/HumbleMrG
    [link] [comments]

    I added a little flair to my toolbox, my first proper attempt at carving

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 02:47 PM PST

    Anyone recognize this heavy, wooden mask? I heard it was brought home from Vietnam back in the day.

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 02:34 PM PST

    Two first attempts in one!

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 11:33 AM PST

    The 12/13th century pine baptismal font from Almö church, northern Sweden. This object is made in the old Norse / Viking style, and showcases how Norse culture intermingled with the new Christian culture. [590x888]

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 11:55 AM PST

    First time Rose carving, Started carving with mu Husky knife then shifted to Power tool for detail carving, What's your suggestions?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 05:45 PM PST

    Q: my pfeil swissmade chisel d5/8

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 05:43 PM PST

    I took a fine file to the bottom of my chisel behind the factory 20 degree bevel and it bites pretty quickly and created a facet after a few good passes... does anyone know how I can fix the temper of swissmade?

    submitted by /u/Full_Send_NDN
    [link] [comments]

    Painting Balsa Wood Sculptures?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 02:05 PM PST

    Hello! Apologies if this is the wrong subreddit to be asking about this (please guide me elsewhere if so!).

    I've toyed with trying to make balsa wood sculptures before, however I've left them unpainted, due to googling the matter of painting them coming up with lots of different results, with them also mainly being about how to handle that of plane models with concerns about weight, look of wood grain etc, leaving me feeling lost.

    I'd like to venture into painting future sculptures, not minding the change of weight and such as these would be random decoration sculptures with fairly dynamic shapes - think muffins, teacups, etc, but I'm very unclear as to the steps I need to take. Given balsa wood is not water-proof, I'm told you need to take steps such as sealing it and repeated levels of sanding before and after etc? But I'm not very assured on any of it.

    I was wondering if anyone out there had any advice and could steer me on any clear path as to how to go about it? Coming from the UK if there are any brands and such to recommend in relation to anything about sealing or painting!

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/KalvinGFX
    [link] [comments]

    How do y'all begin a project? Sawing the front/side view first or directly from the square block?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 12:04 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment