• Breaking News

    Friday, May 21, 2021

    Wood carving Otter carving. I got the idea from u/oOoTinyGhostoOo , I said I would carve a version but it took a while to get around to it.

    Wood carving Otter carving. I got the idea from u/oOoTinyGhostoOo , I said I would carve a version but it took a while to get around to it.


    Otter carving. I got the idea from u/oOoTinyGhostoOo , I said I would carve a version but it took a while to get around to it.

    Posted: 21 May 2021 05:51 AM PDT

    Beautiful Horse Sculpture

    Posted: 21 May 2021 07:15 AM PDT

    moment...

    Posted: 21 May 2021 12:39 AM PDT

    I made a little Dwarf

    Posted: 20 May 2021 11:28 AM PDT

    Palms hurt after longer carving session

    Posted: 21 May 2021 04:43 AM PDT

    Hello, has anyone experience discomfort in the palms after carving for a longer period of time? 1-2hrs

    I am using a mora 106 and more recently have been making a handle out of boxwood. In this case I was using a basic grip, curling the knife from my fingers to my palm. Not sure exactly how it's called

    submitted by /u/ghristov
    [link] [comments]

    Firefighter with detachable tank

    Posted: 20 May 2021 08:32 PM PDT

    When you carve for too long

    Posted: 20 May 2021 10:29 AM PDT

    Grain bust outs

    Posted: 21 May 2021 08:20 AM PDT

    Was just curious, I notice on a lot of my carvings I'll get to a section where if I try to take some wood it will split off the chunk along the entire length of the carving. This is obviously due to the orientation of the grain, but is there a way to work with this? I've tried to do some shallower shaving and swooping cuts in multiple directions but it just tears instead of slicing.

    submitted by /u/76RodCo
    [link] [comments]

    Artists carve beautiful flowers on wood

    Posted: 21 May 2021 02:35 AM PDT

    First part of my little dragon. It still needs a lot of work but wanted to share anyway. I'll post updates in the future.

    Posted: 20 May 2021 11:41 AM PDT

    Beginner carver - where do you guys find wood?

    Posted: 21 May 2021 01:17 AM PDT

    I've been struggling to find answers to this question, where do you find small pieces of assorted woods to carve? I live in the middle of a big city and so far have tried carving branches from parks or hardware store pine, which here is glued together from smaller pieces :/. Do you guys get your wood from lumber mills, or do you know any places to buy online (that deliver to Europe)? I really want to find some basswood and eventually try hardwoods like walnut. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Smokeylocks
    [link] [comments]

    Can you start woodcarving well with just one knife?

    Posted: 21 May 2021 12:21 AM PDT

    Hi peeps

    I want to start wood carving but am a bit lost as to what tools I actually need and if I can get away with one or two good blades as my budget is a bit low at the moment.

    I mostly want to make little detailed sculptures but maybe also some like geometric puzzle things where you carve two interlinking shapes etc.

    Any advice or suggestions would be amazing as I've heard the knife sets are a bit pointless and unnecessary at the beginning.

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Silent-Page-237
    [link] [comments]

    New to this, I’ve never tried carving before but I was bored and was left alone with a Dremel

    Posted: 20 May 2021 04:28 PM PDT

    Avocado Pit Carving

    Posted: 20 May 2021 05:52 PM PDT

    Finish Options

    Posted: 20 May 2021 12:00 PM PDT

    Hello all. I was wondering where you all stand on options for finishing your pieces. I have Danish oil and Odie's oil but found basswood and Odie's don't get together as well as I had hoped. It seems like it doesn't want to fully dry/cure, even after a week of a single light coat and buffing sessions. Danish oil has recently served me well.

    Now I am working on a rosewood pendant. It won't be worn, but it will surely be handled a bit more than just a display piece. My current issue is continuing to hear that Danish oil won't serve much protection, even after a few coats. That being said, I would like to keep the loom of this piece (and others) natural regarding their color (my Danish oil is the natural version) and exterior. I'd like to stay away from finishing techniques that leave a plasticky or extremely unnatural appearance.

    To further complicate this for the pendant specific, I've heard of rosewood being an oily wood and not taking well to oils (maybe other finishes as well). I plan on sanding to an extremely high grit on this piece (2000, give or take) if that changes anything. Thanks in advance for any tips!

    submitted by /u/pcbuildsquestion
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment