• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 15, 2020

    Wood carving So... I'm bored...

    Wood carving So... I'm bored...


    So... I'm bored...

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 04:29 AM PST

    chip carving too hard?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 07:53 AM PST

    Hey,

    I did some woodwork in the past but I'm a complete noob to carving. I got myself a chip carving knife, watched a lot of tutorials and timelapses yet I have some issues and I can't figure out what's causing them. I'm still waiting for the proper wood to arrive, but I had some birch slices laying around my place so I figured I'll use them to practice. I started with trying to carve some letters but I found out that the wood was way harder than I thought (even though birch is supposed to be soft, right?) and instead of the chips going out nicely as in the videos they were crumbling into small pieces. I also had to deepen the cut several times as opposed to taking one smooth stroke to get it deep enough as I've seen in the videos. Here's my attempt. I cut these slices about a year ago from the logs that's been exposed to all sorts of weather conditions. As they dried up inside the house the cracks appeared. Since then I used them as coasters at my place and I think they got wet and dried up at least once or twice since then. I never oiled/varnished them either.

    so, some questions I have-

    - is the wood behaving this way because it wasn't prepared and taken care of properly?

    - should I be able to make the cut deep enough with just one stroke?

    - the knife I got is brand new, I checked and the blade cuts paper easily. Is that enough to make sure the blade is sharp enough? how often should I sharpen it?

    - is it normal that the wood seems way to hard for me? How much pressure do you have to use?

    and the last one that worries me the most-

    few days from now I'll get some parts of the piece of furniture and I'll be carving times new roman letters in them. It'll be beech wood which I heard is a hard one. I already asked the person who's making it to save some beech bits for me so I can practice on them first, but I'm really worried I won't be able to carve it due to the wood hardness. Should I worry? Or will it be ok, but I'll just have to spend more time on it? If you could give me any tips or point out frequent noobie mistakes I would be super grateful

    submitted by /u/Louvey
    [link] [comments]

    Chain me free

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 05:06 PM PST

    My guardians

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 03:57 PM PST

    Sea turtle named Jeff

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 03:56 PM PST

    My rendition of the double helix teaspoon tablespoon combo. Inspiration by r/ligglogg

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 05:23 PM PST

    Beginner- Sharpening w/o tools?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 03:57 AM PST

    Hello everyone!

    My question in a nutshell is: Is there some household item I can use to sharpen my knife until I receive my strop?

    I am looking to try out woodcarving for myself, so I have purchased some basswood, a knife and a strop+compound to start out. Since I have the knife and wood right now, I'd like to get started with learning the basic cuts. However my knife isn't very sharp (I can't do a stop cut without applying a lot of force, and event then the blade doesn't go very deep in the wood). Unfortunately the strop has not yet been sent to me, so I have no tool available for sharpening. I'm really looking forward to getting started asap, so if any of you have suggestions, please share them.

    A Google search tells me I could use the bottom of a mug/plate or a nail file, but I don't know if that's as applicable to a woodcarving knife as it is to a kitchen/utility knife.

    submitted by /u/mouldy_cheese_error
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for a good starter carving tool kit?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 08:54 AM PST

    I really need some help picking out a tool kit to help me get started. I've been looking on amazon and it seems like there are a lot of cheap/kid friendly options with a lot of tools and a lot of expensive options with only a few tools. I'm worried that if I buy myself low quality tools I'll get frustrated and give up, so my goal is to find a slightly higher quality, adult starter set set that won't break the bank.

    I haven't done any carving yet and have only been reading and watching videos, so I don't know what to look for in a good starter set, or what all I need to get off the ground. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

    submitted by /u/higgshmozon
    [link] [comments]

    Finished another guy. This one is nearly 12 inches tall. Album in comments.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 04:56 PM PST

    My first hair stick

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 02:33 AM PST

    Cottonwood Bark Dragon WIP

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 11:06 AM PST

    Advice please... how should I finish the blade? Wrap in aluminium tape (like the handle parts), stain, or leave as is?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 10:37 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment