• Breaking News

    Friday, September 24, 2021

    Wood carving I too carved a hand! (with pictures this time....)

    Wood carving I too carved a hand! (with pictures this time....)


    I too carved a hand! (with pictures this time....)

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 03:10 AM PDT

    Anyone mess around while they are supposed to be working?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2021 05:25 PM PDT

    Professional carving skills of artisans - Carve flowers to decorate the headboard in classical style

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 03:38 AM PDT

    Jig for carving a wooden handle.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 06:16 AM PDT

    Jig for carving a wooden handle.

    Hi,
    Here is a vid. of making a simple jig for carving a wooden handle. In this case the handle will be fitted on to a spanish small sword, but I think the jig and the proces can be interesting at least a little bit also for knifemakers. Second vid is using the jig and carving a handle.
    https://youtu.be/_dA4WTk_qbw

    https://youtu.be/xImGPPu3_TI

    https://preview.redd.it/97mbj8bgbgp71.jpg?width=1920&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=5af1626bdeb4fcb807f8ad44174f4df5aa56e406

    submitted by /u/Marseal_a
    [link] [comments]

    Humpback whale carved from bocote

    Posted: 23 Sep 2021 07:50 PM PDT

    Humpback whale carved from bocote

    Never worked with bocote before. It was a little tough to work with hand tools, not because it was too hard but because the grain is so random and I was getting a lot of tear out. I did a lot of this with the Foredom flex shaft tool. Crazy looking wood.

    https://preview.redd.it/99fv5xua7dp71.jpg?width=4022&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=81d64059d5226feff031e18e0e2c7454ec057302

    https://preview.redd.it/pwc2jyua7dp71.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=2d130cdde55082609b40288d2c0fd1226a9fa55c

    https://preview.redd.it/2b6dyxua7dp71.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=fbf211b9fa2d6e35a7f53995b1eb4cf6ab44feca

    submitted by /u/anthropocon
    [link] [comments]

    WIP redfish pendant is coming along nicely

    Posted: 23 Sep 2021 11:20 AM PDT

    I'm looking to upgrade from a fixed blade and a Leatherman Surge multitool into a whittling decent knife/knives that are sold in Europe or made in Europe. I found Helvie knives on youtube but sadly they are US based, high taxes when importing & very long waitlist. Cheers!

    Posted: 23 Sep 2021 03:19 PM PDT

    Howdy!

     

    I've carved things out of wood using a regular fixed blade knife and a multitool since forever. Yesterday I found out that there is a specific term "whittling" where people use knives with ergonomic handles and small blades that seem so handy for carving small details. When carving something for a long time, especially small details, my hands get so god damn sore (this doesn't happen when I do other woodworking stuff or cutting larger pieces - only happens with carving).

    I found "helvie knives" on youtube and those look very nice, but they are US based (and have a very long waitlist).

    Are there any EU based companies or brands or knife makers that you suggest? The suggestions can also be for knife makers/brands/products that are sold in Europe.

     

    It doesn't have to be top of the line, but I'd prefer to buy something that is of quality since I rarely replace out a working piece of equipment unless it's broken (but I am happy to expand with tools for different purposes).

    Thank you very much for reading my post!

    May your blade never dull :)

    submitted by /u/qUxUp
    [link] [comments]

    A few general questions about finishing carved wood

    Posted: 23 Sep 2021 12:44 PM PDT

    I carve little animal figures and stuff. I sand them 80 100 200 300 400 600 1000. By that point they're pretty shiny. What I've tried at this point as far as finishing:

    1. paste wax, which buffs up nice but can get caught in crevices
    2. walnut oil, which I let dry for a day or two, then butcher block wax, 4-5 coats, which looks great and then later on feels a bit dull

    What I'm wondering I guess is: is the oil followed by wax a mistake? Is butcher block wax actually not good for this kind of things? (I used it because it's all safe ingredients and I'm sending one little figure to a kid) 3) Can I just finish things with lots of coats of walnut oil? If yes on that one, please let me know about the timing, like how long I let it dry and how many coats.

    Thank you for your expertise!

    ETA: the woods I have used at this point are basswood, butternut, sycamore, and redwood. The one I'm wanting to finish now is redwood. I wonder if the oil would bring out the grain nicely.

    submitted by /u/less-of-course
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment