• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 29, 2020

    Wood carving I decided to make another nose for glasses out of a left over bit of Osage orange wood. I know he's simple, but that wood is really hard.

    Wood carving I decided to make another nose for glasses out of a left over bit of Osage orange wood. I know he's simple, but that wood is really hard.


    I decided to make another nose for glasses out of a left over bit of Osage orange wood. I know he's simple, but that wood is really hard.

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 10:34 PM PDT

    Model Ford 8N made from basswood

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 09:41 AM PDT

    Largemouth bass for my friend, who fishes competitively

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 10:03 AM PDT

    Work in progress

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 04:03 PM PDT

    Where to start as a beginner?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 07:44 AM PDT

    I bought a knife kit and some basswood and I made a little spoon, but the idea of making any sort of figure is a little overwhelming for me. I can't seem to find clear step by steps of how to do it online. So if anyone has some simple recommendations of projects that I should focus on to get comfortable with the tools, I'd greatly appreciate it.

    Also, how frequently do you sharpen while you're doing the project? I was ripping the wood sometimes on the spoon and realized that I probably should've been sharpening.

    submitted by /u/LAAngelsAnaheim
    [link] [comments]

    Hand carved platter I carved for my mother in law for her birthday. The handles are cherry, the body is spalted hickory. This is my first time carving anything

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 07:47 PM PDT

    Working on a Robber for Catan

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 04:09 PM PDT

    Need a carving set

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 06:24 PM PDT

    Can anyone suggest a carving set of decent quality for under $20? I wanna start carving but also cant be spending a lot of money. So i gave myself a $20 budget. Something i can get online preferably

    submitted by /u/cut4stroph3
    [link] [comments]

    Spoon Carving Question

    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 12:41 PM PDT

    Hello! I'm new to this Reddit and relatively new to carving with hand tools.

    I've been making some spoons at home with dry wood (maple), and working my way up from 80 grit to 400 grit sandpaper to finish. I'll typically do an initial wet towel wipe down and sand again at 400 grit to smooth out all of the fibers that have "bloomed" - getting the spoon super smooth.

    The problem that I have found it - after I use the spoon (i.e. stirring soup), I've found that the wood wants to keep blooming and won't stay smooth - instead becoming coarse with wood fibers each time after it gets wet, even though I try to dry the wood immediately after use.

    I'm looking for some advice on how to keep the spoon smooth through repeated uses / wettening. It would be great to be able to keep it smooth after the first use / wettening or two. Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/atbump
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment