• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 1, 2020

    Wood carving My first ever carving! It’s a very simple design and I forgot to sand it before painting it but I’m still happy to hang it on the Christmas tree. Thank you to this sub for getting me interested in a fun new hobby!

    Wood carving My first ever carving! It’s a very simple design and I forgot to sand it before painting it but I’m still happy to hang it on the Christmas tree. Thank you to this sub for getting me interested in a fun new hobby!


    My first ever carving! It’s a very simple design and I forgot to sand it before painting it but I’m still happy to hang it on the Christmas tree. Thank you to this sub for getting me interested in a fun new hobby!

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 07:37 AM PST

    An unnamed, carved art thing I made from a big chunk of jatoba.

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 07:59 AM PST

    Cat on the moon. Maple and black oak necklace pendant.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 01:33 PM PST

    Around 50 hours spent in this spaceship so far. I'm now planning on sanding it down and finishing it but I'm not sure how to or if I should paint it, stain it or just varnish it. Any tips spared will be much appreciated. Feel free to critique the piece itself and suggest changes.

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 07:35 AM PST

    Storm Cloud Carving

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 02:24 PM PST

    Can I glue 3 strips of leather down like this for a strop or is one big piece better?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 07:17 AM PST

    I carved a stand for my pickle fork.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 05:54 PM PST

    Arrowhead necklaces

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 03:15 PM PST

    A wood spirit unfinished -> with iron acetate brushed on -> and freshly oiled. I'm @sprite_sticks on IG

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 09:51 AM PST

    Follow Up - Snowmen All Painted

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 09:25 AM PST

    Wood carving Tiki face using Dremel tool, Happy to see your suggestions and opinions below.

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 09:25 AM PST

    Completed my first ever carve!!! What grit sandpaper should I use for baldwood?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 04:11 PM PST

    How to make a Classic TV Cabinet with meticulously carved patterns

    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 01:55 AM PST

    Chip Carvers, can I manage with an old Opinel a friend is giving to me?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 01:11 PM PST

    A friend was giving away knives and gave me an old carbon no 6. I'm currently using it as an EDC, but figured if I taped the base of the blade I could get a better grip in order to use it for chip carving and get smaller chips out of wood.

    I can get good slices out of wood when I'm whittling but am looking for mod ideas in order to use it for more types of cuts.

    submitted by /u/projectilebirb
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice for what upgrade to get for making marionette-like-figures

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 12:39 PM PST

    Need advice on upgrade to scroll saw

    Okay, so my main issue here is that i'm between getting a scroll saw+ rotary tool, or a 3d printer. I make performing music boxes, a fancy way of saying automata. Things like little dancing men yadda yadda.

    (what i do) i started with marionettes, but i'm fascinated with all things mechanical, so i took my knowledge of the jointed figures i'd make for marionettes and added mechanical automation instead of my hands. I've only ever worked with wood and have honed my skills completely on that medium. I carve the body pieces and head and use wood joints to connect them. depending on the piece i paint them.

    (reason for purchase) currently i'm a bit limited in what i can do because of the tools i have. i'm able to everything i need to, but not in any sort of efficient way. it's a very tedious laborious process. I'm a firm believer in everything can be done with nothing, however i have the opportunity to upgrade, so why not. in my puppets, there are many custom gears and levers and mechanical things that i have had to fabricate from scratch with hand tools. this takes forever and isn't always the most accurate.

    (what i'm hoping for) with a 3d printer, i could at a minimum print all the custom gears and parts that i need, amd in addition to that i could make more complex mini props for the puppets. i could possibly even move into printing puppets (or the base structures). My only concern is that i have very little experience with 3d printing and i'm not sure if u want to have to learn this whole new skill. on the other hand, there's the scroll saw and foredom motor. I could remove material much faster, get more precise cuts, and overall increase productivity a lot. in this case i would still be working with wood so i wouldn't be leaving behind my previously learned skills.

    i'm a bit biased because my grandfather was a woodworker and i have sort of continued his legacy, and i have a very special bond with woodworking. it makes sense to me, i have experience. i know this is a bit hippie dippy but something about working with a natural material grown from the ground resonates with me, giving new life to something that has had its time. on the other hand, 3d printing is so so so efficient and would be so useful. it would let me produce stuff so much faster, and would rly expand what i'm able to create. i'm torn between traditionalist vs advancement.

    (profit) i also want to try to make money with this, and both of the options allow for this but i'm not sure which would be better. with a scrollsaw and foredom i could produce at a quality level and rate consistent enough to begin selling puppets and automata, and i could also make things like christmas ornaments and other wood crafts on the side. personally this seems like a very small market. With the 3d printer, i could sell puppets and such as i was saying, but i could also print all sorts of things like tech cases and toys and spare parts, you name it. there's even services where people pay you to print something for you and send it to them. my concern there tho is that so many people already have 3d printers, i assume it would be pretty competitive.

    (budget) i can only spend ~500 dollars. the 3d printer i'm looking at is well known and reputable, and is currently on sale for 450 (original price 1200). this would be a good machine that would do anything i wanted it to and would last a long while. on the other hand i could get a nice dewalt scrollsaw for a little under that and use the remaining for a foredom. the third option however, would be i get the good scrollsaw, and then a much smaller (but still reputable) entry level 3d printer. this would cut out the foredom rotary tool. (the whole reason i wanted a rotary tool is because i already have a handheld dremel that does the job but i want more power and easier maneuverability)

    sorry for this gargantuan of a post, can anyone help me out?

    TLDR- choosing between upgrading my woodworking tools, or investing in a good 3d printer, so that i can make custom gears and mechanisms for my puppets/automata, as well as make money on the side through little projects to sell.

    submitted by /u/yaboiloganquin
    [link] [comments]

    Dremel Power Carving Scrap Woodspirit

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 12:27 PM PST

    Use dremel 4300 with flex shaft and kutzall and other various burrs to carve this guy out of scrap wood.

    submitted by /u/clevesbwoodworking
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment