• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 6, 2021

    Wood carving This is Joe. Joe is an old mountain hippie with an interesting past. He commissioned a local carver to do a statue of his likeness and his wife absolutely did not want it on their property, so he gifted it to the local general store where it's been on display for several years.

    Wood carving This is Joe. Joe is an old mountain hippie with an interesting past. He commissioned a local carver to do a statue of his likeness and his wife absolutely did not want it on their property, so he gifted it to the local general store where it's been on display for several years.


    This is Joe. Joe is an old mountain hippie with an interesting past. He commissioned a local carver to do a statue of his likeness and his wife absolutely did not want it on their property, so he gifted it to the local general store where it's been on display for several years.

    Posted: 05 May 2021 07:56 PM PDT

    Sharpening stone recommendations?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 06:31 AM PDT

    Can anyone recommend a sharpening stone for my chisels and gouges? I've got a flexcut strop and a sun king 8000 grit sharp stone. I know I need to practice sharpening, but I noticed one area on a one of my gouges that is rougher, not getting taken care of by the slip stone. I watched a video by Mary May where she used a diamond stone, but i couldn't find a bran name in the description. Can anyone share what reasonably priced stone they use, Diamond or otherwise?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/porkdumbpling
    [link] [comments]

    Hold your breath as you watch this video

    Posted: 06 May 2021 12:57 AM PDT

    Brand new carver - first non-utensil

    Posted: 05 May 2021 07:24 PM PDT

    How should I cut and dry Linden (Basswood) rounds?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 01:37 AM PDT

    These are freshly cut large rounds. Here's my plan, but I would like any input from this group.

    Cut them into large blocks. Eliminate the heartwood. (I'm not sure how big that circle is) and seal the ends. I will place the blocks somewhere dry until I can use them.

    Should I also use pentacryl?

    Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/tedmalin
    [link] [comments]

    Found in a charity store in BC, Canada. Does anyone know what style art this is and what it's depicting?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 03:24 PM PDT

    Will a polyurethane raise the grain on my knife-finished part of the carving?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 05:41 PM PDT

    I am doing a relief carving in bass wood of a Celtic knot.

    On some areas I want to sand it, but on some textured background areas I want to keep the carved texture. Some parts will be painted, and others will be left natural.

    I was thinking that I should seal off the whole thing before doing any painting. Will applying polyurethane or another sealer (like shellac) raise the grain on the smooth carved parts, requiring me to sand them?

    Is there a better way to seal the carving?

    Any tips on sealing a carving, or painting a carving, or sanding will be appreciated. Keeping in mind that some areas I want to sand and some I don't.

    submitted by /u/biggety
    [link] [comments]

    How to make an end cutting board

    Posted: 05 May 2021 12:11 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment