• Breaking News

    Monday, December 16, 2019

    Wood carving First try at woodcarving, the pendant will go on a necklace for a Christmas gift.

    Wood carving First try at woodcarving, the pendant will go on a necklace for a Christmas gift.


    First try at woodcarving, the pendant will go on a necklace for a Christmas gift.

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 02:56 PM PST

    Another grumpy looking chap!

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 01:19 AM PST

    A little ring perch I carved to give my dad for Xmas. Pretty happy with it.

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 07:02 PM PST

    #woodmoji

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 08:40 PM PST

    Beginner set - UK

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 04:38 AM PST

    Hi, I am looking at starting wood carving (small animals/figurines and possibly wands from Harry Potter). I have looked at the wiki but I am still unsure as to what to get.

    It specifies 3 knives to get. The straight knife I thinking about the mora 106/120 as that seems a decent one. But the curved and V gouge I'm stuck on. There appear to be a lot of different variations on the types as well.

    Could anyone help on good beginner set in the UK? I would rather not pay more than £70 for the lot if that's possible.

    Any if there's anything else besides gloves, knives and wood you recommend that would be great.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Turvs
    [link] [comments]

    Spoons I haven't finished yet

    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 12:25 AM PST

    My first go at whittling. Could use some smoothing out but I’m really happy with how it ended up

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 11:51 AM PST

    Just started carving and now I can’t stop: couple of spoons, small cooking spoon and some delightfully crooked chopsticks. Cherry with mineral oil and beeswax.

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 11:21 AM PST

    Better picture this time. Plus my new matchstick man. Quarter for reference.

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 03:18 PM PST

    3rd little Santa Carving

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 01:52 PM PST

    Looking for recommendations.

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 11:42 AM PST

    I'd like to start carving, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm looking for recommendations on good carving knives and the best wood to start with, plus any other advice you might think is useful. Thanks, everyone!

    submitted by /u/MicAntCha
    [link] [comments]

    How to make a beautiful Christmas gift woodcarving

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 11:31 AM PST

    How to Finish Balsa Wood?

    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 04:18 PM PST

    I decided to make a couple of magic wands for christmas and thought it would be fun to try whittling for the first time. I'm fairly pleased with the results but I'm unsure how to finish the wood. I used a dark brown stain on the wands and then used Varathane Diamond Exterior Stain Finish. I've applied a few coats but so far I'm not super thrilled with how it makes the wands look. I was hoping for a rich smooth finish that made the wands look expensive. Since the wands are so light, I wanted them to at least feel nice to the touch. The polyurethane doesn't seem to do much and it makes the wood rougher, so I sand it after every coat, and then apply more.

    Is there a better way to finish the wood for a more polished look? Or did I just choose the wrong wood to work with? I found that basswood is very light and flakes off a lot while I was working with it. What would be a heavier, denser wood to work with but still easy to carve?

    submitted by /u/FreudsParents
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment