• Breaking News

    Friday, February 28, 2020

    Wood carving I made a wooden Witcher's medallion, handcarved from curly black walnut. It's about 2 inches (50mm) in diameter, finished with Danish Oil.

    Wood carving I made a wooden Witcher's medallion, handcarved from curly black walnut. It's about 2 inches (50mm) in diameter, finished with Danish Oil.


    I made a wooden Witcher's medallion, handcarved from curly black walnut. It's about 2 inches (50mm) in diameter, finished with Danish Oil.

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 07:04 AM PST

    Maple burl castles by Uli Kirchler

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 06:09 PM PST

    Handcarved mulberry spoon, opinions?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 02:49 PM PST

    Folk Art Style Rooks

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 02:22 PM PST

    Top tools for a newbie

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 07:11 AM PST

    What are the very first tools I should get to start hand carving? I've been woodworking for years but would love to try my hand at carving!

    submitted by /u/rharrell1214
    [link] [comments]

    The most time-consuming bowl I’ve ever made.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 06:10 PM PST

    Seeking some guidance on proper use of tools.

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 10:02 AM PST

    I just recently got into working with wood in any capacity due to being gifted a Dremel Makers kit. After playing around with the engraver I find the rotary tool to be way more useful (probably obvious) for what I hope to achieve. I have mostly been doing small engraving on pre cut wood signs you can get at a hobby store, lettering and such.

    At some point I'd like to start working with creating 3d objects from wood, so I made my first attempt at that last night. I purchased a round piece of wood around 1 inch thick and was trying to carve a shamrock out of the wood. I soon found myself having trouble going any further than around half an inch down with the rotary tool before the bits got extremely hot. It doesn't really seem viable for cutting shapes (at least where I'm attempting to completely cut through the wood)...so I am wondering, what I should be using for this? I have seen small Dremel saws and routers, but I am worried about the accuracy of the cuts. I also have no idea how to use them and feel they probably have a bigger learning curve.

    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/deejymoon
    [link] [comments]

    Question about Mineral Oil and Strops

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 08:35 AM PST

    It was recommended to me to get some mineral oil to help with stropping. So I went to the laxative isle of a Shopper's and picked some up as instructed, but how do I actually apply it to the strop? I'm using the flexcut Slip Strop and the compound that came with it. I tried rubbing the compound on, adding a bit of mineral oil and rubbing it in. It gets pasty and kinda makes the tool seem grimy.

    Is this correct, or is there a right way to do it that I've missed the mark on? Thanks for the help. THis beginner appreciates it.

    submitted by /u/fair_moose
    [link] [comments]

    It's been a while since I actually finished something...

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 02:43 PM PST

    Eastern Red Cedar longbow

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 05:46 PM PST

    Not much but, I carve one of these everyday.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 11:26 AM PST

    Chanterelle mushrooms made of yellow heart wood

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 03:15 PM PST

    Is it ok to apply linseed oil over acrylic paint?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 01:54 PM PST

    I want to carve and a little keychain, but just a small part of the surface will be painted. Is it ok to apply oil all over it? If not, should I try to apply it without getting it on the painted parts, or should I go for another finish?

    submitted by /u/b3rnozes
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment