• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 8, 2020

    Wood carving Something completely different than my usual stuff.

    Wood carving Something completely different than my usual stuff.


    Something completely different than my usual stuff.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 08:10 AM PST

    Finished xmas presents!

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 10:03 AM PST

    Showoff

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 09:03 PM PST

    Finished and painted old world Santa (catalpa wood)

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 09:02 PM PST

    Best Woodworking Books (see comments for the list)

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 08:18 AM PST

    A Seagasus

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 10:04 AM PST

    Skeleton Lovers 36”x24” red oak

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 04:13 PM PST

    [Crossposted from /r/whittling] For carving tight notches/curves (ex. the space between the arms + legs of an animal figurine) what techniques + tools do you use?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 06:30 AM PST

    I've been carving little birds for a while but decided to start carving an Among Us figurine and want to get into carving rounded, abstract animals (examples below).

    So far I've been doing alright, especially with my birds, with an Opinel and very small scraping motions. I tape the blade down so I can hold it at the tip for smaller cuts and detail work which works well for me, but I'm struggling with my current figurine (an Among Us character) in trying to shape the legs. In the future I'd also like to get into carving the animals I linked above.

    Can I still manage this with my Opinel and sandpaper or should I consider investing in a rotary tool? I've noticed plenty on Amazon that seem like they would supplement well in these kinds of carvings.

    What techniques do you guys use to achieve this sort of detail? Can it be achieved with enough patience and a very sharp knife or should I just pick up a Pelican blade or rotary tool?

    submitted by /u/projectilebirb
    [link] [comments]

    I just got my first knife and I'm very excited!

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 04:42 PM PST

    When painting a carving, do I need to put mineral oil on the wood first, or can I just apply paint to the surface?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 04:44 AM PST

    Budget letter carving chisel?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 04:03 AM PST

    Hi all, new to this group and to wood carving in general. It's a bad time of the year for me to be splashing out on a set of chisels especially as I don't know how deep in going to get into this. Anyway, can anyone suggest a half decent chisel or two that would be relatively inexpensive to try out wood carving. I've got into WC by using a rotary tool but I've become quickly aware this isn't really going to give me those lovely crisp lines for beveled lettering. I'm based in the UK. Tia

    submitted by /u/whatsthisboxfor
    [link] [comments]

    Help! Working on carving this helix and I broke it. :'( best fix? Glue or......?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 09:56 AM PST

    Found this unused kit in storage, no one I know carves. Can anyone point me towards some good resources to learn what the tools are used for?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 10:41 PM PST

    Does anyone else’s hands look like this after whittling? What is happening?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 10:24 PM PST

    First Try. Made a wooden knife. Not sure if this counts as wood carving.

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 10:03 AM PST

    I am a beginner and am having a lot of trouble trying to fix one thing that looks off which creates problems elsewhere. I feel I have screwed up the illusion of depth, bottom half of face is oriented different from top half. Suggestions? Thinking of cutting vertically at the brow. When to just stop?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 10:25 AM PST

    How could and should I go about contacting a carver for a specific commission?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 06:20 PM PST

    Carving from Home Setup

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 03:21 PM PST

    I'm not completley new to woodcarving, but new to carving from home now that my group has been closed for most of a year :( I'm wondering what I need to set myself up to do carving from home?

    The club I used to be part of was based in a school DT classroom and had big vices mounted to the tables, so we could clamp our projects in and work on them with both hands, but I'm not sure how to set that up at home. I have the actual tools and even wood, but I'm not sure how to go about setting up a workbench!

    I've seen people hand carving without any clamp or vice but having started that way I'm a bit anxious about carving with my hands in the way/holding the project steady while I carve. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/Waste_Banana
    [link] [comments]

    How would you go about carving this?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 07:52 PM PST

    Building a Dog House

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 02:42 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment